Welcome to the Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment
The Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment started as a department in the Faculty of Agriculture but metamorphosed into a fully-fledged Faculty in the 2009/2010 academic year. The core mandate of the Faculty includes teaching, research, and extension services. The Faculty is dedicated to training the needed manpower for sustainable management and utilization of the country’s savanna ecosystems and its natural resources in general for national development.
The Faculty within the year under review and through the Department of Forestry and Forest Resources Management hosted the Climate Impact Research Capacity and Leadership Enhancement (CIRCLE) Fellowship, a collaborative programme between UDS and University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with its core duties of sponsorship focusing on research institutions and communities.
The Faculty runs the following programmes:
- 2-year MPhil in Fisheries
- 4-year Bachelor of Science degree in Fisheries and Aquaculture Technology
- 4-year Bachelor of Science degree in Renewable Natural Resources with options in Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management, Ecotourism and Environmental Management, Forestry and Forest Resources Management, and Range and Wildlife Management
- Diploma in Natural Resources Management.
Plans are far advanced to run the following programmes in the near future:
- Master of Philosophy in Environmental Management and Sustainability
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability
- Bachelor of Science in Forest Resources Conservation and Management
- Bachelor of Science in Biodiversity Conservation with Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Science in Ecotourism and Hospitality Management
The Faculty has had a lot of collaborations and continues to seek new ones. It has also carried out a number of research and development activities aimed at conserving and managing natural resources in some local communities within its catchment area.